Saturday, March 10, 2007

Colombia- part 1

Yes, I finally made it the far north of South America and the Caribbean coast of Colombia. Noted for its slightly turbulent history, most people I met travelling around seemed to note it more for the Colombian fondness for plastic surgery and the friendliness of the people. I seemed to note that the Colombians said ´a la order¨(or something like that) in reply to what ever you said. I could never quite work out exactly what it meant, but perhaps something along the lines of right, OK, super, no probs etc..(or at least I hoped that's what it meant!)...

Bogota

Spent a couple of days in Bogota, including checking out the Police Museum where you can find out about the killing of the noted drug barron, Pablo Escobar, look at a selection of guns, and view various Police memorabilia from around the world. Slightly surprised that this included a police badge from the old East Suffolk constabulary, but I guess such a noted and crime-busting former police force must be held in high regard by the Colombian police. Also went on a day trip via steam train to an underground salt cathedral. Was quite impressive, and journey also noted for live train bands, and line-side fire which we started and then had to rush to put out..


The Colombian Orient Express gets ready to depart...

San Gill

Then moved on to San Gill, 6 hours north of Bogota, where I was persuaded by the New Zealand guys I had met in Bogota to go rafting for the first time in my life. Slightly concerned that the rapids were rated up to 4+ (which can be fairly difficult apparently), and by the guy at the hostel´s instruction to the others to make sure I get wet. Nevertheless, I decided it would be a good idea to try it out (I also asked how often people fall in, and was told reassuringly that no one fell in the last time..)

Following a slightly bumpy van ride and a brief safety talk, we piled in the boat and were off. To start with everything seemed to be going well, and we were all following instructions well. However, after around 40 minutes we unfortunately got stuck on a rock in the middle of a rapid. Following the instructions to hurl ourselves from side to side did not seem to budge us, though after several minutes did result in the boat tipping over! Happening so fast, I was not able to hold onto the boat as had previously been instructed, and therefore went straight down the river rapids. Trying to follow the instructions to keep my trainered feet in front of me to provide protection, I realised that I was also following the other guy who had been in front of me in the boat...Luckily after several mouthfuls of water, the rapids subsided a bit, and we where both able to be picked up by the safety canoe who had come after us and be deposited on a rock with just a few cuts and bruises. The other guys on the boat had not drifted so far and had managed to scramble on to rocks further up, and after some time the guide got the boat upright again and came to pick us up with the other guys..

Thankfully soon after this, we stopped for lunch. However, the fun was not over, as we still had the difficult 4+ rapid to negotiate. Before this, we actually stopped so that the guide could assess whether it was safe or not (though I suspected it was just to scare us a bit before going down, which in my case I think he succeeded!). Luckily, by this time we were well drilled and negotiated the rapid with skill and precession (or perhaps we were just lucky..), and were able to make it to the river bank and a small bar not so far away to enjoy some alcoholic concoction which if my memory serves me correctly was slightly strong..
All of this story you will have to take on trust as we were only able to take one camera with us on the trip (fitting in waterproof bag), so was one of the New Zealand guys cameras, so have no photos myself!...However, I can show you a couple of pictures of the pretty and tranquil colonial town that I visited near San Gill..


How peaceful I hear you say..

Though there was one guy coming through on his horse...


Barranquilla

Following San Gill, I headed up to Barranquilla for carnival, which was 3 days of great dancing parades and concerts and drinking at night. Generally uneventful, apart from staying in a slightly dodgy hotel (but hey, it was cheap and therefore had quite a few gringo travellers staying..). Then headed over to Taganga, a small fishing village and traveller hang-out close to Santa Marta on the Caribbean Coast. Not one to hang out on the beach too long, I decided that it would be a good idea to get some exercise after all the carnival partying and signed up for the 6 day hike to Cuidad Perdida (lost city) in the Sierra Nevada mountains behind the coast...(see Colombia, part 2)


Scary goings on at Barranquilla Carnival..



I think this dancer in Barranquilla was waving to me in the stands, but not entirely sure...

The only people that seemed to be in a bad mood at the Barranquilla Carnival..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home