Thursday, May 17, 2007

New Zealand South Island landscape..

I guess the most impressive thing about the South Island of New Zealand is the landscape of mountains, and the very varied coastline. I was able to experience quite a lot of this in my wanderings over the 3 weeks I was there, the following being some of the highlights (as always, click on images to get full size and effect!)...

Mount Cook on a clear day! (fairly unusual apparently)..

Doubtful Sound on a not so clear a day (fairly usual apparently)..

One of the many water falls in Doubtful Sound (also fairly usual with all the rain!)..


Snow on the pass to Doubtful Sound- the first for me since Patagonia back in December..

The sky off the coast of the Catlans..

More sea and sky off the coast of the Catlans..

Railway station and sky, Oamaru

Yellow Eyed Penguin gets a look in on the Otago Peninsula, near Denedin

The sky also dominates in Abel Tasmin National Park


And yes, before you ask I was there (and didn't just get the pictures from the internet)- I hope this kayaking action shot from Abel Tasmin proves it...!